Smyrna Opera House
The Smyrna Opera House was originally built in 1870 and served as the town hall and the center of community activities until its conversion into a movie theatre in the 1920s. Notable speakers included Frederick Douglass and William Jennings Bryant. Since the “Roaring Twenties”, the Opera House embarked on a long, slow slide into obscurity, until Christmas night 1948 when a devastating fire destroyed the top floor and landmark bell tower. Afterwards, the building sat largely unused, until the Smyrna-Clayton Heritage Association initiated a restoration campaign in 1998. Founded by a small group of Smyrna residents, the Association envisioned a thriving arts center that would immerse the community in a variety of cultural activities. Five years later, the fully-restored Opera House opened its doors to the community of Smyrna and beyond. Since 1998, the Association has offered cultural programming in various locales throughout the local community until the Smyrna Opera House formally opened in March of 2003. Over the past ten years, public demand has enabled the Association to increase its event offerings from five during the premier season to currently around thirty arts endeavors per year. The Opera House rarely experiences a dark day – or evening – between music performances (including jazz, classical, bluegrass, country and singer/songwriters), theatre shows, rentals, rehearsals, art shows, seminars, weddings, business meetings, summer camp, classes, Association gatherings and various other cultural events. All of the Opera House programming adheres to our mission “to provide affordable cultural access and enrichment for people of all ages and backgrounds.”
Happy Hour Season Preview PartyAugust 5
Stanton's 4th Wall presents A Few Good MenAugust 13 - August 15
The James Taylor ExperienceSeptember 11
Nine Deeez NiteSeptember 25
Deanna FitzpatrickOctober 30
Box Office: Tuesday - Friday, 10am - 3pm
Driving Directions & Parking
From the North:
Travelling south from Wilmington on Del. Rt. 1, exit at the North Smyrna exit and take Rt. 13 South to Commerce St (Rt 6) , turn right on to Commerce St. continue to Main Street and take a left on to Main St. Stay on Main Street for one block. The Opera House will be on the right side, the corner of Main Street and South Street. The parking lot entrance is just past the Opera House on the right.
From the South:
Travelling north from Dover on Del. Rt. 1, exit at the South Smyrna exit and take Rt. 13 North , take a left on to Main Street , continue on Main St, the Opera House will be on the left at the intersection of Main St. and South Street. The parking lot entrance will be on your left just before the Opera House.
From the West:
Follow U.S. Route 50 / 301 east. After crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, follow signs toward Wilmington Delaware. At the route 50 / 301 split, take route 301 (left lanes). Follow route 301 until mile marker 104. Slightly after mile marker 104 turn right on route 300. Remain on route 300 to Smyrna. At the intersection of route 300 and route 6, turn right onto route 6 which will become Commerce Street. Stay on Commerce Street until the traffic light in the center of town. Turn right at the traffic light (Main Street). Stay on Main Street for one block. The Opera House will be on the right side, the corner of Main Street and South Street. The parking lot entrance is just past the Opera House on the right.
7 West South Street
Smyrna, DE 19977
full map & directions
update this page
Update this organization
If you have an organization profile, please log in for quicker processing.