The old Milton Theatre has a rich and meaningful history in Sussex County, Delaware. Erected in circa 1910, the two-story building served, at one time or another, as the Town's basketball hall, fire station, social center & community stage. Various retail businesses & restaurants, also thrived there. Its most popular role was as the community's celebrated art deco movie house in the 1930's, featuring silent films, later, "talkies" and eventually live country western music entertainers. The structure itself has survived three major fires, the Great Storm of '62 and many other nor'easters, but decades of neglect nearly spelled its demise until members of the Milton community rallied for its revival.
In 1999, the non-profit 501(c)(3), Milton Development Corporation bought the property and rehabilitated this historic building, to renovate the old Theatre into a multi-use performing arts & cultural center, cinema house and venue for community programming and specials events. It operated successfully for ten years until the building was lost to foreclosure.
Currently the Milton Theatre organization is serving its mission to inspire, entertain and unity our community through high quality performances and presentations, outside of the walls of the theatre building while it strives to regain involvement in operations within the structure. This latest challenge brings opportunities for more accessible theatre for the community and strengthened relationships with other arts and community organizations.
110 Union Street
Milton, DE 19968
full map & directions
update this page
Update this organization
If you have an organization profile, please log in for quicker processing.